Thursday, April 23, 2009

Crazy Travel Plans

I am very stressed out about my next trip. I am going to explain the entire thing, for two reasons: 1) to get organized and hopefully feel less overwhelmed, and 2) so my readers can tell me it will be okay and share their knowledge of latenight international shuttles and such.

I have plans to go to Ireland with some friends from my program. However, I decided to head north earlier to visit an old family friend in Scotland. I am at the mercy of Ryanair, because I had to change my flight to Dublin rather than cancel it and get a new one. Here's the plan:

I. Monday, April 27th
-Train from Sevilla to Malaga
-Something (train or bus) to Malaga airport
-Ryanair flight FR656 to Glasgow: leaves at 9:25 pm, arrives at 11:35 pm
-Shuttle from the airport to a bus station: Midnight, arrives at 1:00 am

BIG STRESS NUMBER ONE: As you can see, I have twenty-five minutes to get on this shuttle. If I don't make it, the next shuttle is at 5:50 am. The plot thickens: it is unlikely that I would be able to pick up checked baggage in time to make this. Ryanair allows one small thing on board, weighing no more than 10kg (about 20 pounds). I will be traveling for a week.

-Taxi from bus station to my hostel

II. Tuesday, April 28th
-Bus or taxi from hostel to the Glasgow Queen Street train station
-Train to Oban: 8:21 am, to arrive at 11:27 am

BIG STRESS NUMBER TWO: I have to pick up my tickets with the card I used to purchased them. Did I tell you I was pickpocketed this week? I no longer have a bank card. The website provides a number to call if it is impossible to have that card. I called the number, on both my cell phone and skype. I am positive that I used the right dialing codes. My cell phone claimed the number didn't exist. Skype simply said, "You are not allowed to call this number." I sent them a frantic email, and they said they'd respond within five business days. I'm assuming the weekend doesn't count. It's Thursday night. Ahhhh!!!!

-Meet Valerie in Oban

BIG STRESS NUMBER THREE: Valerie and I have been emailing. Several days ago, she asked for the specific times and dates, and said that her computer freezes a lot, and to call her if I don't hear back from her soon. I haven't heard back from her. Tried calling. Guess what? This one didn't work either!! I sent her another email. No idea how to get in touch with her.

-Ferry to the Isle of Lismore
-Mere twenty-four hours on the island to recover from traveling, enjoy the amazing island,
and form life-long connections

III. Wednesday, April 29th
-Ferry to Oban
-Train from Oban to Glasgow: 12:11, to arrive at 3:30 (unfortunately the next train got me in
too late for my flight)
-See all of Glasgow
-Train or bus back to Glasgow Prestwick airport
-Flight to Dublin: FR777, 9:30 pm, to arrive at 10:20 pm

BIG STRESS NUMBER THREE: Identical to BS(ha, fitting)#1. The last bus that leaves the Dublin airport for downtown is at 10:40. Twenty minutes to book it.

-Reunite with friends in Dublin. Exhale for first time.

AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! Of course, I'll be all alone. At least it's all English-speaking. Suddenly my Valence trip seems like a walk in the park.

Any comforting words/inside connections at Ryanair would be highly appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment