Sunday, March 29, 2009

Three More Funny Things:

1. This is Ally’s story; I did not witness this one. Ally was at a bar talking to this Spanish guy. He went outside to smoke, came back in, and once again found Ally. However, this time he claimed he no longer spoke Spanish and had her choose between English or Martian. She obviously chose Martian, and without breaking a straight face, this guy told her something in a series of fast, high-pitched beeps. Ally was laughing quite a bit, but managed to respond. They held a decent conversation in Martian, and Ally’s friend did not smile or laugh once.

2. This one is my friend Laura’s story. She was walking with a group that included the seven-year-old girl who lives at her house. The girl was pushing a doll in a toy stroller. An old man walked by pushing his old wife in a wheelchair. When their paths crossed, the old man said to the little girl (in Spanish, of course), “My doll is bigger than your doll!”

3. A couple of weekends ago, Emma and I went into OpenCor, my favorite convenience store, in search of ice cream. When we were in line to check out, we noticed the DVD of “Los Increibles” for sale. I recounted to Emma the time with a girl from ITS (the campus computer repairers) came to my room freshman year to reinstall Windows. We had to wait a half-hour for the thing to load, and we weren’t going to make smalltalk for a half-hour. To pass the time, we watched “The Incredibles” that my roommate had left in the DVD player. The end. This story lasted until the end of our transaction. We became aware that the cashier at OpenCor was reeeeeally feeling this story. Even though he could not have known what “ITS” is, he was hanging on every word and cracking up. It was, in fact, the funniest story he had ever heard. He was looking right at me, waiting for more. I had to quickly finish up the story before we left.

What a fun life we live in Sevilla!

No comments:

Post a Comment